URL for this article is http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/thomas/just.htm
Just for Record
Raju G. C. Thomas,
Written March 24, 1999
The US is violating a number of international laws in attacking Serbia over Kosovo which is part of a sovereign independent state.
(1) It is a violation of Article 2 of the UN Charter that prohibits the use of force against a sovereign state where it has not committed aggression on other states. Serbia did not attack any neighboring states outside its sovereign borders. The Security Council did not sanction the use of force here. If the issue had been submitted to the Security Council, it would certainly have been vetoed by Russia and China. NATO knows it and therefore bypassed it.
(2) It is a violation of NATO's own Charter which claims it is a defensive organizations and is only committed to force if one of its members is attacked. No member of NATO was attacked.
(3) The so-called Rambouillet "Agreement" (there was no "agreement" by Serbia ) is a violation of the 1980 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties which forbids coercion and force to compel any state to sign a treaty or agreement. Serbia is being asked to sign this "Agreement" through NATO bombs and missiles.
(4) It is a violation of the Helsinki Accords Final Act of 1975 which guarantees the territorial frontiers of the states of Europe. What this so-called peace plan offers is (a) the severance of Kosovo through NATO bombing with immediate effect; or (b) the severance of Kosovo through NATO occupation three years later.
(5) If the sequel to the bombing is recogntion of Kosovo as an independent state, this will violate international law that prohibits recognition of provinces that unilaterally declare independence against the wishes of the federal authorities.
These unlawful actions will set precedents that will undermine stability elsewhere in the world.
We may be free but alas, we do need money...
Emperor's Clothes does not charge a subscription fee. But of course nothing is free
We may be free but alas, we need money...
Emperor's Clothes does not charge a subscription fee. But of course nothing is free.
For example, the cost of Lexis, our news media search engine, has doubled. Lexis is the best method of rapidly locating news stories from thousands of sources over the past twenty years. It is vital for research, but the cost has doubled. Moreover we are almost $1500 behind on payments to Lexis. Not to mention phone bills.
Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
You can mail a check to Emperor's Clothes, P.O. Box 610-321, Newton, MA 02461-0321. (USA)
You can make a credit card donation by going to our secure server at https://emperor.securesites.com/transactions/index.php
Or make a donation over the phone. Call us at (U.S.) 617 916-1705 between 9:30 AM and 5:30 PM, Eastern Time (USA) and Bob will take your credit card information.
Thanks for reading Emperor's Clothes!