The URL for his article is http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/petrovich/multiple2.htm
Know Thy Order!
Multiple Choices for a Brave New World
by Bob Petrovich [2-21-2001]
Can You Guess the Source of these Procedures?
- Procedure #1: Investigation of facts can be halted on the grounds: "... that an investigation would not serve the interests of justice" (art.53)
- Procedure #2: Arrest is allowed for any reason "to ensure that the person does not obstruct or endanger the investigation or the court proceedings."(Art. 59)
- Procedure #3: Secret trials (Article 64,sec.7)
- Procedure #4: Evidence may be withheld from the Defense (Article 68, sec. 1-6)
- Procedure #5: The accused may be held in detention even when acquitted (Art 81,sec.3c) (This one is the Emperor's Clothes favorite!)
- Procedure #6: "Provisional arrest" (Articles 92, 59)...
Can they be found at:
The correct answer is: None of the above. The choices were false, but so is the Order.
In fact, these 'procedures' have been road-tested in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (the 'War Crimes Tribunal') at http://www.un.org/icty/
Coming to location near you soon.
Bob Petrovich is a media analyst living in Toronto, Canada.
Further reading -
'Back to the Dark Ages?' by Jared Israel at http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/jared/bac.htm
Please Assist the Yugoslav Journalists' Fund
Emperor's Clothes is trying to assist a few families of Yugoslav journalists. These journalists are among the many journalists who have literally been thrown out of work when thugs took over all TV and radio stations and newspapers during and after the Oct. 5th coup. These attacks are part of the terror in 'democratic' Serbia. We are providing some financial help; we need to provide more.
It's really a privilege to be able to help these brave men and women who are trying to report 'the other side' within Yugoslavia and, through Emperor's Clothes and other media, to the outside world.
Meanwhile, our own operating costs have increased. (For instance, monthly fees for the superb news media search engine Lexis have more than doubled.)
If you can make a contribution either to our general expenses or specifically to help the Journalists' Fund, please do. Any amount will help. To use our secure server, please go to http://emperors-clothes.com/howyour.htm#donate. (If you use the secure server and wish your contribution to go to the Journalists' Fund, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can mail a check to Emperor's Clothes, P.O. Box 610-321, Newton, MA 02461-0321.
Or call 617 916-1705 from 9-5, Eastern U.S. time and ask for Bob. Thanks very much!